EPIC has joined forces with Asperger’s Syndrome expert Tony Attwood to develop a three-part series about job hunting on the Autism Spectrum.
Also featuring EPIC’s own Zach Zaborny, the series guides job seekers through the minefield of job searching, interviewing, securing and maintaining a job on the Autism Spectrum.
The duo brings to the videos a wealth of experience; Zach with lived experience of Asperger’s Syndrome, and Tony with a world-class reputation in psychology, focusing on Asperger’s Syndrome. Tony has written several books on the subject including the bestselling ‘bible’, The Complete Guide to Asperger’s Syndrome.
The team explore several important points during the videos including:
- The benefit of volunteering, keeping busy and keeping positive while looking for work
- Surrounding yourself with the right people
- Picking the right job
- Identifying your strengths
- Practising interviews
- Preparing for workplace challenges ahead of time
- Whether to disclose your disability when applying for jobs
The videos are beneficial not only for those on the Autism Spectrum, but also people wishing to increase their awareness and confidence around disability.
Zach and Tony pinpoint some workplace challenges people with Asperger’s Syndrome may experience, including:
- Difficulty adapting to change (the preference is to have a plan and stick to it)
- Susceptibility to bright lights and loud sounds
- A need to complete work to a perfect standard, sometimes struggling to achieve deadlines.
Gaining insight into the lives of people with Asperger’s Syndrome means fellow employees can provide better support and understanding, contributing to that person’s success in the workplace.
To watch the videos, click on the below links: